Friday, 6 September 2013

Who’s English…I know I am...are you?




So the other day Vinny Jones ( can’t believe he’s the reason I’m posting this ) says that he can’t recognise England,  it’s all diluted, if you blindfolded someone landed them at a national airport they wouldn’t know which country they were in blahh bllah….I guess he’s trying to say England is losing its identity….Perhaps… Let’s take Vinny Jones for a second, born in Watford, played for Wimbledon (fair enough) represented Wales at International Level, is an expat or immigrant (depending on if he comes back or not) living in USA and has the cheek to have a pop at immigrants in England?

Have  a look at this:


The link shows a list of the Indigenous people for every continent and country. Nick Griffin wants England for the ‘indigenous’ people of England…they are who exactly? What is a true British or English person? Apparently the EDL, BNP and probably UKIP lot will say it’s a white fella in a bowler hat, carrying a newspaper, drinking tea and having a roast for dinner.  But essentially white people didn’t just spring up in parts of Britain one morning; they had to have come from somewhere right?  So let’s see what good old Wiki has to say about invasions of Britain:


So we have the following invasions:

Roman
Germanic / Anglo Saxon
Viking
Danish
French

A lot of foreigners coming over here taking our land it seems? Lots of invasions, people mixing, living together, building a life a town, city etc etc and this is how things were and have been (Sounds Familiar doesn't it) I won’t go into race and colour here but most of these invaders were white so it stands to reason that the natives that Vinny Jones or EDL/BNP/UKIP goes on about would be white. However lets pin down on effect, people came from other countries and settled here, and continued to live here. I’m sure the average Joe Bloggs British guy could trace his roots back to one of the list above, so he’s not English as such he’s probably German or Roman but not 'Indigenous' English…ahhh but he’s white so it’s ok he’s English really we won’t go too far back that will just confuse stuff let’s just call him English coz he looks it. Here’s a look at the history of the People of Britain :


Some quotes that stick out for me; "Throughout recorded history the island has consisted of multiple cultural groups and identities" and "...in reality Britain has always been home to multiple peoples" food for thought I think.

Let’s shift forward a good chunk to the 1930’s/50’s/70’s and present day. People from the Caribbean, Africa, India, far east all came over to the England, probably didn’t invade like the Romans/ Anglo Saxons/ Vikings etc did but came in search of work mainly. Britain ruled the world and allowed all those that they rules to have a British passport, thus allowing them to come here and live and work. I was in a shop the other day and a shop attendant was doing a tax return for a relative, he didn’t understand how a guy living abroad could have a British passport. That shop attendant probably didn’t go to school much or know how the commonwealth works…he’s the future!... I digress!

So…yes…loads of foreigners came over just like before, lived here and opened shops, worked on train platforms, worked as porters in hospital, build houses and some even were doctors and nurses...they eventually had kids who were born here. Those kids became British. That’s how it worked for them and that's how it worked for those descendants of the Romans/ Anglo Saxons/ Vikings etc the difference is the kids born to Indians or African were a different colour so distinguishable as “not from round here”

The problem about being British or English is that we don’t really have that national pride thing going on very well..we aren’t flag wavers and don’t buy British products exclusively we like the sound of being British but are happy to buy foreign products and eat foreign food. If you think of the St George’s Cross you think of EDL/BNP…..it s a shame because that’s a symbol of England, if I wear an England football shirt am I suddenly classed a racist? No…but if you see a white shaven headed guy with tattoo’s wearing a St George's Cross T Shirt for example, the brown fella walking the street near him would assume he’s EDL/BNP without being none the wiser. It works both ways you see, everyone gets judged.


See the thing is for me, I was born here, my parents came to London from Kenya in the mid 70’s they worked hard, paid their taxes, all their bills on time bought a house and had me and my sister. We in turn went to school here, got an education, fell in love with football and queuing and moaning about the weather. I call myself British and English I support England at sporting events, England gave me everything I have today, no other country did so I’m proud to be English. However stand me next to those friendly guys from the BNP/EDL/UKIP and suddenly I’m not English to them. I wasn’t English to the bullies I put up with through most of the 80’s and I couldn’t understand why, I was born here and lived here just like them, I only looked a different colour and had long hair. Through the education England gave me I learnt that they too like me have ancestors that came from foreign countries so I thought to myself what's the bloody problem.  In school I learnt about the Harvest celebrations, sang Christian hymns and at home we celebrate Christmas. I was brought up to appreciate other people’s customs and faiths without losing sight of my own. I like that I did that, I have diversity now, I’m British/English too and maybe I’m the face of Britain as it is today? Maybe the face of Britain is a mixture of all sorts, just as it was when all those invasions happened. I’m just like the ‘indigenous’ people of England but a good few hundred years behind them, they’ve had their ancestors come from abroad and settle here and now are lots of generations in, in the claim to being English or British. The Royal family are German, Brits that go abroad are expats but people that come to Britain are called immigrants. I know an ex pat is someone that lives abroad but hasn’t fully immigrated just there for work but tell that to the large “expat” community in Spain…they haven’t come back here? It’s ok when the shoe is on the other foot it seems. They don’t see it and until they and the likes of Vinny Jones do we will always have this issue about immigration and who is in fact British. 

This is an interesting link to a question asked about “what does it mean to be British to you?”


Some varying opinions you’d agree but interesting to note that there is a sense of pride in all those answers. The thing is people nowadays travel all over and the world, choose to live all over and it’s a global community, if no one moved around we’d all be ignorant of each other cultures and ways of life…oh wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment